3288-2017 Amend By-Law 3142-2015 (Establish the Committees of Council)
BEING A BY-LAW TO AMEND BY-LAW 3142-2015 (ESTABLISHING COMMITTEES FOR THE TOWNSHIP OF AUGUSTA)
Passed by Council November 13, 2017
THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWNSHIP OF AUGUSTA
BY-LAW NUMBER 3288-2017
A BY-LAW TO AMEND BY-LAW 3142-2015
(ESTABLISHING COMMITTEES FOR THE
TOWNSHIP OF AUGUSTA)
WHEREAS by Section 5 of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25, the powers of a
municipal corporation are to be exercised by its Council;
AND WHEREAS Council wishes to amend By-Law 3142,
NOW THEREFORE the Council of the Corporation of the Town ship of Augusta enacts as
1. That Appendix A be amended to include the updated Terms of Reference for the
Economic Development and Tourism Committee.
2. That this amendment will come into force and effect on the date of passing.
READ a first and second time this 13day of February, 2017.
READ a third time and passed this 13 day of November, 2017
Signed by Mayor Doug Malanka and Clerk Annette Simonian
Schedule A By-Law 3288
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND TOURISM COMMITIEE
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Under the Direction of Council and Senior Staff to work in an advisory capacity to attract,
promote, retain and expand economic development and tourism within Augusta Township
to make our Township a sustainable community in which to reside, work and play.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
The following Terms of Reference for the Economic Development and Tourism
Committee (EDTC) were developed to guide committee members in the fulfillment of their
duties. The EDTC is an important resource to assist Council in maintaining an
economically sustainable community.
STRUCTURE OF THE COMMITIEE
1. Council shall appoint the Chair who shall be a member of Council.
2. The EDTC shall consist of 7 members appointed by Council.
3. The Township shall appoint a staff member as the secretary for the committee.
4. A quorum of the Committee shall consist of a majority of its members, or 51%.
5. All Township residents or representatives of businesses active in the Township
interested in serving on the EDTC will be asked to identify themselves through the
application process. Those names will be put forward to Council and representatives will
be selected by Council for the term of Council, with consideration for the following criteria;
5.1 Candidates from various business/industry sectors;5.2 Candidate’s willingness to take on responsibilities for specific areas of the
economic development program;
5.3 Candidate’s qualifications and commitment to the functions of the committee as
outlined below; and
5.4 Candidate’s availability to participate.
6. In the event that a committee member resigns from the committee they will be replaced
within 60 days of the resignation.
7. Any member who misses three consecutive meetings shall be dismissed from the
Committee at the discretion of the Chair and be replaced by a qualified candidate
appointed by Council.
8. The Committee shall meet every month, on the Monday of the first full week of that
month. More than one meeting or a change of schedule may occur at the discretion of the
9. The Chair may invite any additional person(s) to attend the meeting to provide
additional information and comment, but such invited person(s) shall not participate in the
regular business of the meeting.
FUNCTIONS OF THE COMMITTEE
To achieve the mission of the EDTC the committee’s functions shall be to:
• Maintain and improve economic development opportunities in Augusta;
• Assist staff and Council and participate in marketing programs
• Represent and advocate for Augusta in economic development matters;
• Along with Council and staff, participate in future strategies to enhance Augusta’s
• Develop and/or recommend economic development policies (for example marketing
programs, special projects and initiatives);
• Work with outside agencies and the private sector to ensure the development and
promotion of Augusta;
• Consult with community groups and businesses in matters relating to economic
• Evaluate and review economic development programs/policies and make
recommendations to Council;
• Assist in the implementation of Council adopted strategies and plans;
• Any other duties which may be specifically referred by Council to the Committee.
RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE COMMITTEE
The EDTC shall report directly to Council. Any resolutions/recommendations that come out
of the committee meeting will be forwarded for Council as a recommendation for
consideration at the next Council meeting during the ‘Committee Report’ section.