BEING A BY-LAW TO AUTHORIZE VOTING BY INTERNET AND TELEPHONE FOR THE 2018 MUNICIPAL ELECTION
Passed by Council March 27, 2017
CORPORATION OF THE TOWNSHIP OF AUGUSTA
BY-LAW NUMBER 3299-2017
A BY-LAW TO AUTHORIZE VOTING BY INTERNET AND TELEPHONE
FOR THE 2018 MUNICIPAL ELECTION
WHEREAS Section 42(1 )a of the Municipal Elections Act, SO 1996 provides that the
Council of a local municipality may, by by-law, authorize electors to use an alternative
voting method, such as voting by mail or by telephone, that does not require electors to
attend at a voting place in order to vote;
AND WHEREAS Section 42(1 )b of the Municipal Elections Act, SO 1996 provides that
Council may, by by-law, authorize the use of an alternate voting method that does not
require electors to attend at a voting place in order to vote;
AND WHEREAS Council deems it appropriate and in the public interest to conduct the
2018 Municipal Election using vote by Internet and vote by telephone methods to ensure
greater accessibility of all voters to exercise their individual and democratic right;
NOW THEREFORE the Council of the Corporation of the Township of Augusta enacts as
1. That the use of Internet and Telephone voting as an alternative voting method that
does not require electors to attend at a voting place in order to vote is hereby
authorized for the School Board and Municipal Election to be held in 2018.
2. That the alternative voting method of internet/telephone will be used for the
advanced polling period.
3. The Clerk/Returning Officer is authorized to enter into agreements with the selected
vendor(s) necessary for the election.
4. No proxy voting provisions are applicable at Municipal Elections conducted in
accordance with this by-law.
5. This by-law shall take effect on the date of final passing thereof.
6. Any by-law inconsistent to this by-law is hereby repealed.
READ a first time this 27 day of March, 2017.
READ a second time this 27 day of March 2017.
READ a third time and passed this 27 day of March 2017.
Signed by Mayor Doug Malanka and Clerk Annette Simonian