A BY-LAW TO AMEND BY-LAW 3336-2017 BEING A BY-LAW TO GOVERN THE PROCEEDINGS OF COUNCIL AND ITS COMMITTEES TO ALLOW FOR THE ELECTRONIC PARTICIPATION OF MEMBERS AT MEETINGS
Passed August 10, 2020
THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWNSHIP OF AUGUSTA
BY-LAW NUMBER 3484-2020
A BY-LAW TO AMEND BY-LAW 3336-2017 BEING A BY-LAW TO GOVERN THE
PROCEEDINGS OF COUNCIL AND ITS COMMITTEES TO ALLOW FOR THE
ELECTRONIC PARTICIPATION OF MEMBERS AT MEETINGS
WHEREAS pursuant to Section 238 of the Municipal Act, S.O. 2001 c,25 as amended, every Council shall pass a procedural by-law for governing the calling, place and proceedings of meetings;
AND WHEREAS pursuant to Section 238(3.1) of the Municipal Act provides that the applicable procedural by-law may provide that a member of council, of a committee of either of them, can participate electronically in a meeting which is open to the public to the extent and in the manner set out in the by-law provided that any such member shall not be counted in determining whether or not a quorum of members is present at any point in time;
AND WHEREAS Bill 197 amends section 238 of the Municipal Act Section 238(3.3) to provide that applicable procedure by-law may provide that, a member of council of a local board or of a committee of either of them who is participating electronically in a meeting may be counted in determining whether or not a quorum of members is present at any point in time; and a member of a council, of a local board or of a committee of either of them can participate electronically in a meeting that is open or closed to the public;
AND WHEREAS the Council of the Township of Augusta deems it expedient to amend its procedural by-law to allow its members to participate at Council and Committee meetings electronically;
NOW THEREFORE the Council of the Corporation of the Township of Augusta hereby enacts as follows that:
1. The Council hereby authorizes Council and Committee Members to participate electronically at council or committee meetings.
2. That Members participating electronically count towards quorum.
3. That Members may participate electronically in a closed meeting.
4. That Quorum will not need to be present at the physical location of the meeting that has been provided in the notice of the meeting.
5. That Members participating electronically will be able to vote on matters before the Council in an open meeting.
6. Members must be recognized by the Chair by name to speak during the debate. Any Member not being recognized prior to speaking during a debate will be considered out of order.
7. All votes relating to financial matters shall be recorded during an electronic meeting. Each member present, including the presiding officer, except a member who is disqualified from voting by any Act, shall announce his/her vote verbally when called in alphabetical order by the clerk, and the clerk shall record each member’s name and vote.
8. That Members are responsible for ensuring the technology is available to allow for them to participate effectively.
9. That if a Member is disconnected due to technology issues, they will be considered to have left the meeting and the meeting will proceed with the remaining Members so long as there is still quorum. The Member may rejoin the meeting at any time they are able.
10. By-law 3471-2020 is hereby rescinded.
11. All other applicable provisions of By-law 3336-2017 shall continue to apply.
Read a first, second, and third time and finally passed this 10 day of August, 2020.
Signed my Mayor Doug Malanka and Clerk Annette Simonian.