BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION – DECK
HOW TO OBTAIN A BUILDING PERMIT
When a building permit is required, an application must be filed with the Building Department using the following forms. Once submitted with all the necessary documentation, a permit may be issued after the application has been reviewed to ensure compliance with the Ontario Building Code, the Township Zoning By-law and any other applicable regulation. A plans review document, detailing the deficiencies of your submission, if any, may form part of your building permit. The Chief Building Official is responsible for the issuance of all building permits.
Other Land Use Approval permits may be required from such agencies as the Ministry of Transportation, depending on the nature of the project and the specific location of the site.
Please follow each of the steps below. Should you feel that one of the steps is not required, please contact the Chief Building Official for confirmation.
Step 1: Conservation Authority Approval
The building department requires approval from the local Conservation Authority prior to any construction or demolition along the river or in an area designated as Provincially Significant Wetlands. A permit may be required by the local Conservation Authority.
- South Nation Conservation Authority 613-984-2948 ext. 240 or 303
- Cataraqui Conservation Authority 613-546-4228 ext. 244
- Rideau Valley Conservation Authority 613-692-3571 or 1-800-267-3504
Step 2: Authorization for Applicant to Act as Agent
If someone else is applying for a building permit on your behalf or will be discussing your project with the Chief Building Official on your behalf, the following form will need to be signed by you – the landowner – and submitted with your application.
Step 3: Building Permit Application
The completed application form must be accompanied by the following:
- A deed may be required indicating the name of the current registered owner of the property for which the permit is to be issued.
- A site plan showing the location of all existing and proposed buildings or additions, any hydro lines, water courses, pipelines, railway tracks and wells or septic systems and leaching beds on the lot in relation to the property
- Provide a reasonable and clear plan showing water drainage and run off, satisfactory to the Municipal Drainage Superintendent or Designate.
- Drawings (2 Sets) of the proposed works, fully dimensioned and showing sufficient detail in order to determine compliance with the building code and any other applicable *One set of drawings are to be printed, the 2nd set is to be submitted in PDF format by email to email@example.com.
Step 4: Deck Construction Details
Complete the Deck Construction Details form and include it with your application.