Learn more about COVID-19 updates and information.

Learn More

Building Permit Application – Other


Includes Renovations, Demolitions, Additions, Decks, Ramps, Structural Alterations, Farm Buildings, Wood Stoves, Car Ports, Attached Garages, Sunrooms, Solar Panels, etc.


When a building permit is required, an application must be filed with the Building Department using the following forms. Once submitted with all the necessary documentation, a permit may be issued after the application has been reviewed to ensure compliance with the Ontario Building Code, the Township Zoning By-law and any other applicable regulation. A plans review document, detailing the deficiencies of your submission, if any, may form part of your building permit. The Chief Building Official is responsible for the issuance of all building permits.

Other Land Use Approval permits may be required from such agencies as the Ministry of Transportation, depending on the nature of the project and the specific location of the site.

Building permit fees are listed in Schedule “A” of By-Law 3413-2019.  All required fees must be paid before the permit can be issued.

Please follow each of the steps below.  Should you feel that one of the steps is not required, please contact the Chief Building Official for confirmation.

Step 1: Conservation Authority Approval

south nation conservation authority logo    cataraqui region conservation authority logo         rideau valley conservation authority logo map showing where approximately the 3 different conservation authorities have authority within the township

The building department requires approval from the local Conservation Authority prior to any construction or demolition along the river or in an area designated as Provincially Significant Wetlands. A permit may be required by the local Conservation Authority.

  • South Nation Conservation Authority 613-984-2948 ext. 240 or 303
  • Cataraqui Conservation Authority 613-546-4228 ext. 244
  • Rideau Valley Conservation Authority 613-692-3571 or 1-800-267-3504


Step 2: Health Unit Permit

Submit an application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish to the local Health Unit when installing plumbing or septic systems.

Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish

Step 3: Entranceway

If your property requires an entranceway, please complete the following form and submit it at the Township office.

Entranceway Application

Entrances onto county roads (see list below) will require the applicant to acquire approval from the United Counties of Leeds & Grenville’s Roads Department prior to receiving a building permit.  You can find their Entranceway Application on their website.

County Roads:
County Roads Department
United Counties of Leeds and Grenville
P.O. Box 729 Brockville, Ontario K6V 5V8
Tel: (613) 342-2710
Fax: (613) 342-2101

County Roads in Augusta Township
County Road 2 (Brockville to Prescott, a.k.a. Highway 2)
County Road 6 (Brockville to North Augusta)
County Road 15 (Maitland to Merrickville, a.k.a. the Maitland/Merrickville Rd.)
County Road 18 (Prescott to Oxford Mills)
County Road 21 (North Augusta to Spencerville)
County Road 26 (a.k.a. 3rd Concession)
County Road 31 (County Road 2 to County Road 26, a.k.a. Blue Church Road)
County Road 45 (a.k.a. Brockchem Road)


Step 4: Authorization for Applicant to Act as Agent

If someone else is applying for a building permit on your behalf or will be discussing your project with the Chief Building Official on your behalf, the following form will need to be signed by you – the landowner – and submitted with your application.

Agent for Registered Landowner

Step 5: Building Permit Application

All applicants must complete, sign and date the Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish as well as the Roles & Responsibilities Declaration Form, the Site & Drainage Plan Form and the Construction Details form.

The completed application form must be accompanied by the following:

    1. A deed may be required indicating the name of the current registered owner of the property for which the permit is to be issued.
    2. A site plan showing the location of all existing and proposed buildings or additions, any hydro lines, water courses, pipelines, railway tracks and wells or septic systems and leaching beds on the lot in relation to the property
    3. Provide a reasonable and clear plan showing water drainage and run off, satisfactory to the Municipal Drainage Superintendent or Designate.
    4. Drawings (2 Sets) of the proposed works, fully dimensioned and showing sufficient detail in order to determine compliance with the building code and any other applicable *One set of drawings are to be printed, the 2nd set is to be submitted in PDF format by email to kmorrell@augusta.ca.
    5. Truss layout, truss package and joist system layout must be submitted to the building department prior to the framing inspection request.
    6. Sewage System Permit, or Maintenance Inspection, application for all new construction, additions and renovations are required to be submitted to the Leeds Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit (see Step 2).  A building permit cannot be issued prior to Health Unit approval.


If you have any questions regarding any part of this process, please call or email the Chief Building Official, Karen Morrell at 613-925-4231 ext. 106, kmorrell@augusta.ca.