Home > TOWNSHIP SERVICES > Building Information and Applications

Building Information and Applications

Augusta Township’s Building Department regulates and enforces the Ontario Building Code (OBC).

Building permits and inspections allow the Building Department to ensure that the minimum standard in the OBC have been met.

Please contact the Building Department at 613-925-4231 ext. 106 to make an appointment regarding your projects and required permits.

3413-2019 Building By-Law

2537-2004 Swimming Pool Fencing By-Law

2965-2012 Zoning By-Law

NOTICE ~ Should you get caught building without a permit the fine is double the cost of the permit.

Projects that require a building permit:

  • Any new building including houses, farm buildings and structuresOnce ready, building permits can be picked up at the reception desk at the Township Office. We accept cash, cheque or debit.
  • Pools over 12″ (1 ft.) deep
  • Porches, decks, patios and ramps (with or without a roof)
  • Wood stoves
  • Demolitions
  • Renovations or Alterations
  • Sunrooms
  • Additions
  • Docks
  • Party Tents (even if temporary)
  • Carports and attached or detached Garages over 10 sq. m²* (107.64 sq. ft.) as well as tent-like car ports/shelters larger than 646 sq. ft.
  • Sheds over 160 sq. ft (15 sq. m²) including prefabricated and portable sheds 
  • New or structural alterations (example: larger windows, doors, load bearing walls etc.)
  • Solar panels mounted on a building and any other designated structures in Division A, of the Ontario Building Code
  • Addition of a bedroom in a basement or in any other part of a building
  • Any plumbing fixture, in a building or not located in a building
  • Changing the use or occupancy of a building
  • Any structure occupying an area greater than 10 m² (107.64 sq. ft.) consisting of a wall, roof and floor or any combination of them or a structural system serving that structure including all plumbing, works, fixtures and service systems serving that structure

* Sheds smaller than 15 m² (160 sq. ft.) are still required to comply with the Zoning By-Law. Contact the Township Planner, (613-925-4231 ext. 104 or by email mbanford@augusta.ca) to confirm zoning requirements for your project or read the Zoning By-Law.

Building Permit Applications


Select the link below for all relevant building applications and information required for your project:

New House

In Ground or Above Ground Pool (deeper than 1′)

Sheds 160 sq. ft. + (includes PreFab/Portable Sheds)

Single Car Detached Garage


Party Tent

Other (Renovation, Demolition, Additions, Decks, Ramps, Structural Alterations, Farm Buildings, Wood Stoves, Car Ports, Attached Garages, etc.)


Paying For Your Permit

Once the Chief Building Official receives your complete application the permit will be prepared.  When it is ready, you will receive a phone call or email letting you know how much the permit will cost and that it is ready for pick up.  Payment is not due until AFTER the permit has been prepared.

Call/Click Before You Dig

Whether you’re planning a home improvement job, planting a tree or installing a fence or deck you need to have your utility & pipe lines safely identified.  You can visit www.clickbeforeyoudig.com or call 1-800-400-2255 to have them flagged.

Note: 5 days advance notice of your intent to dig is required.


Before mechanically excavating and constructing within the right of way of one of the 3 pipelines located within the Township or mechanically excavating within 30 metres (98.5 feet) of the right of way you must call and obtain written approval from the pipeline company.  Visit our Pipelines page for more information.

Entrances & Culverts

As per Township By-Law 3711-2024, ALL entrance ways must be approved by the Township BEFORE installation.  If your property requires an entranceway, please complete the Entranceway Application Form and submit it at the Township office.

Entrances onto county roads will require the applicant to acquire approval from the United Counties of Leeds & Grenville’s Roads Department prior to receiving a building permit.  You can find their Entranceway Application on their website.

Civic Numbers

All properties are to have a civic number (911#) to assist Emergency Services and Utility Companies in finding you.  If you do not already have a civic number, please complete the 911 Application and return it (along with your payment of $125) to the township office

If your sign or post is damaged/stolen you can apply for a new one.  Replacement signs are $30 each and replacement posts are $30 each.  The same 911 Application form is required.

The Township encourages agricultural landowners to have civic addresses assigned to vacant land entrances.  For landowners applying for 911#’s for vacant farm fields, the fee is $60.

If you have questions regarding 911/Civic numbers, please call the Fire Department Coordinator at 613-925-4231 ext. 202 or email atrickey@augusta.ca.

United Counties of Leeds & Grenville Secondary Suites Program

As an initiative to increase the supply of affordable rental housing for low-income households in Leeds and Grenville, the United Counties of Leeds and Grenville has introduced two Secondary Suite Programs for Leeds and Grenville.

The two types of Secondary Suite Programs are:

  1.  The Ontario Priorities Housing Initiative (OHPI) Secondary Suite Program, which targets the creation of a rental unit for low-income households, at a person’s sole and principal residence.
  2.  Leeds and Grenville Landlord Secondary Suite Program is accessible to small landlords, and targets the creation of rental units in a property for low-income households, that is not the landlord’s sole and principle residence, and the applicant can own another property.

Visit their website for more information and for application forms.

Zoning Questions

To find out more about the zoning for a property – what you can and cannot build on it, where things can be located on the property, changing the zoning for a property, severing lots etc. – please review the Zoning By-Law or contact the Planning Department at ext. 104.

Minimum Distance Separation (MDS) Regulations

Some projects will require the Minimum Distance Separation (MDS) Regulations be checked to ensure that your property is zoned properly for the project.  MDS is governed by OMAFRA.  They have created a tool to assist landowners in calculating the setback distances between items such as livestock barns, manure storages or anaerobic digesters and surrounding land uses.

The tool can be found on OMAFRA’s website.

Open Building Permits

It is the responsibility of home owners who have open building permits to call the Chief Building Official to schedule required inspections.

There is an overwhelming number of open permits on file that we would like to close to ensure that health and safety related standards have been met. If you think you may still have an open permit, please call the CBO at 613-925-4231 ext. 106 or email kmorrell@augusta.ca to schedule an inspection.

NOTE: Most real estate lawyers recommend that home buyers request a Building Compliance Letter from the Township before purchasing a home. In this letter, all open building permits are listed.

Building FAQ

Q. I am interested in buying a property in Augusta Township.  Can I build [insert structure here] on this property?  

A. You will need to contact the Planning Department (mbanford@augusta.ca, 613-925-4231 ext. 104) with the address for the property so we can investigate what can/cannot be built on that property based on the Zoning By-Law.

Q. Can I have horses, cattle, chickens etc. on my property?

A. This will depend on the zoning of your property.  If your property is zoned for a hobby farm, it will require a minimum of 2 hectares or 4.94 acres.  Minimum Distance Separation (MDS) regulations as governed by OMAFRA must be adhered to as well.  Please contact the Planning Department (mbanford@augusta.ca, 613-925-4231 ext. 104) to assist you in determining if this is legal on your particular property.

Q. I want to run a business out of my home.  Am I allowed?  What do I need to do?

A. You will need to contact the Planning Department (mbanford@augusta.ca, 613-925-4231 ext. 104) with the address for the property so we can investigate what the property can/cannot be used for based on the Zoning By-Law.

Q. Am I allowed to have a sea-can/storage/shipping container on my property?

A. According to our Zoning By-Law, sea-cans/storage containers are not permitted within the township boundaries.  Certain exceptions apply for temporary use during construction with a valid building permit.  Contact the Chief Building Official, Karen Morrell (613-925-4231 ext. 106 or by email kmorrell@augusta.ca) for more information.

Q. Can I have a mobile home on my property? 

A. No.  Mobile homes can no longer be placed in areas other than in an approved mobile home park within the township.

Q. I’m interesting in buying/bought a house in Augusta.  Can you tell me if there are any outstanding permits or issues with it that I should be aware of?

A.  A building compliance letter can be requested in writing for a $100 fee.  If you are considering buying the property, your lawyer must request the letter.  However, if you own the property you can request the letter yourself.  The Chief Building Official will then provide the information contained in the building file.  A fast-tracked compliance letter is $150.

Q. Do I need a building permit for a portable car shelter (soft-shelled, tent-like carport/garage)?

A. Portable car shelters fall under the Party Tent category according to the Ontario Building Code. You do not require a building permit for this type of structure if it is under 646 square feet, but you must still follow the setbacks from property lines for the zone you are in.  If the structure is bigger than 646 square feet, then yes you will be required to obtain a permit.  The application would be the same as for a party tent.

Q. Where can I get information about my well?

A. Well Records are regulated by the Ontario Ministry of the Environment.  They can be contacted at 1-888-396-9355 (Well Help Desk).  Alternatively, records are available online by visiting Well records | ontario.ca (there is an interactive map which has many of the wells in Augusta Township).

Q. Where can I get information about my septic system?

A. South Nation Conservation approves and issues septic permits in the Township of Augusta.  They also hold the records formerly processed for the township by the Leeds & Grenville District Health Unit.  They can be contacted at 613-984-2948.  Privately owned sewage systems, including septic tanks and leaching beds, require a permit for installation or alteration under the Ontario Building Code. Please visit South Nation Conservation’s website for septic permit applications.


Again, please contact the Building Department at 613-925-4231 ext.106 to make an appointment regarding your projects and required permits.


NOTE: Upcoming Launch of the Next Edition of the Building Code

Ontario is planning to release the 2024 edition of the Building Code in early April, 2024 to reduce regulatory burdens for the construction industry and make it easier to build housing. 

The 2024 Building Code will come into effect on January 1, 2025.

There will be an additional transition period allowing permit applicants to continue to use the 2012 Building Code for applications submitted before March 31, 2025, if applicants can demonstrate that their working plans were substantially completed under the 2012 Building Code prior to December 31, 2024. More details about the transition period and training opportunities will be shared in the coming weeks.

The new Building Code will be released in digital and hardcopy versions to support the industry’s transition and ensure applicants have sufficient time to become familiar with the new edition of the Building Code before it comes into effect on January 1, 2025.

The province will continue working with partners to maintain high standards in Ontario’s Building Code and make it easier for the sector to build new homes, while protecting public health and safety. 

If you have any questions about these changes, please contact the Chief Building Official.

Enter your email and a link to reset your password will be sent to you.

Sign up for an account

I am a resident of Augusta Township

*You will receive a verification code via email if you have not verified your email already.

I am a resident of Augusta Township

Enter the verification code that was sent to you.