BEING A BY-LAW TO ESTABLISH A MESSAGING POLICY FOR THE TOWNSHIP OF AUGUSTA
Passed by Council April 7, 2017
CORPORATION OF THE TOWNSHIP OF AUGUSTA
BY-LAW NUMBER 3304-2017
A BY-LAW TO ESTABLISH A MESSAGING POLICY
FOR THE TOWNSHIP OF AUGUSTA
WHEREAS signage erected and owned by the township is municipal property and is
for municipal purposes to disseminate township information and community events
that promote the township;
WHEREAS the Council of the Township of Augusta deems it necessary to ensure
that only appropriate messages are posted on municipal owned signs;
NOW THEREFORE: The Council of the Corporation of the Township of Augusta
enacts as follows:
1. THAT messages posted on municipal owned signage shall be representative of
the Municipality, and therefore will be operated in a manner that enhances Augusta in
a positive manner.
2. Messages may be edited for conciseness, clarity and conformity to the
requirements of the medium. The Municipality reserves the right to modify the
message, to reform or to delay the appearance of the message.
3. The following priority system shall be used in selecting messages to be posted
on municipal signage:
a. Emergency messages;
b. Messages relating to the Municipal matters;
c. Municipally significant historical, cultural or artistic sites;
d. Community events and messages that clearly serve or promote educational,
charity/fundraiser or public service events for Augusta sponsored by a community
In the event of an emergency, the township has the right to suspend all messages
and use the signage for emergency.
4. The municipality reserves the right to limit the number of messages on municipal
signs at any given time.
5. The following messages shall not be permitted:
a. Personal messages, whether from an individual, group, organization or business;
b. Promotion of political, factional or religious viewpoints;
c. Events/functions open only to members of an organization and;
d. Messages contradictory to this policy.
6. That posted signage will be subject to Provincial regulations and guidelines and
public works procedures and recommendations for road side maintenance.
7. THAT this By-Law shall come into force and take effect upon the final passing
READ a first and second time this 7 day of April 2017.
READ a third time and passed this 7 day of April 2017.
Signed by Mayor Doug Malanka and Clerk Annette Simonian