BEING A BY-LAW TO ADOPT A POLICY FOR PREGNANCY AND PARENTAL LEAVE FOR MEMBERS OF COUNCIL
Passed by Council January 14, 2019
THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWNSHIP OF AUGUSTA
BY-LAW NUMBER 3392-2019
BEING A BY-LAW TO ADOPT A POLICY FOR
PREGNANCY AND PARENTAL LEAVE FOR MEMBERS OF COUNCIL
WHEREAS Section 270(1) of the Municipal Act, 2001 as amended requires
municipalities to adopt and maintain a policy with respect to pregnancy leaves and
parental leave of member of Council by March 1, 2019:
AND WHEREAS the Council of the Corporation of the Township of Augusta deems it
advisable to adopt the aforementioned policy;
AND WHEREAS Section 5 of the Act provides that a municipality’s power shall be
exercised by by-law;
NOW THEREFORE the Council of the Corporation of the Township of Augusta enacts
1. That the Pregnancy and Parental Leave for Members of Council Policy, as
described in Schedule “A” attached hereto and forming part of this by-law, is
2. THAT this by-law shall come into force and effect on the date of passing.
READ a first and second time this14 day of January, 2019.
READ a third time and passed this14 day of January, 2019.
Signed by Mayor Doug Malanka and Clerk Annette Simonian
Schedule A by-law 3392
Policy: Pregnancy and Parental Leave for Members of Council Policy
Date Issued: January, 2019
The Corporation of the Township of Augusta recognizes a Member of Council’s right to
take leave for the Member’s pregnancy, the birth of the Member’s child or the adoption
of a child by the Member in accordance with Municipal Act, 2001.
Pregnancy/Parental Leave means maternity, paternity and adoption leave.
In accordance with Section 270 of the Municipal Act, 2001, this policy applies to
member of Council.
This policy provides guidance on how the Township of Augusta addresses a Member’s
pregnancy or parental leave in a manner that respects a Member’s statutory role as an
Council supports a Member of Council’s right to pregnancy and/or parental leave in
keeping with the following principles:
• A Member of Council is elected to represent the interests of their constituents.
• A Member may take a leave for absence for pregnancy or parental leave for up
to 20 consecutive weeks or less as a result of a member’s pregnancy, the birth of
a Member’s child, or the adoption of a child by the Member, in accordance with
Section 259(1.1) of the Municipal Act, 2001.
• A Member’s pregnancy and/or parental leave does not require Council approval
and their office cannot be declared vacant as a result of the leave.
• Legislative and administrative matters requiring action during a Member’s
pregnancy and/or parental leave should be addressed in a manner that is
consistent with the Member’s wishes.
• A Member of Council on pregnancy/parental leave shall reserve the right to
attend any meetings as a Member and shall provide notice to the Clerk of their
intention to attend
• A Member of Council on Pregnancy/parental leave shall continue to be paid their
All complaints received related to this policy shall be in writing and addressed to the