BEING A BY-LAW TO AUTHORIZE VOTING BY INTERNET AND TELEPHONE FOR THE 2022 MUNICIPAL ELECTIONS
Passed by Council November 8, 2021
CORPORATION OF THE TOWNSHP OF AUGUSTA
BY-LAW NUMBER 3543-2021
A BY-LAW TO AUTHORIZE VOTING BY INTERNET AND TELEPHONE
FOR THE 2022 MUNICIPAL ELECTION
WHEREAS Section 42(1)a of the Municipal Elections Act, SO 1996 provides that the
Council of a local municipality may, by by-law, authorize electors to use an alternative
voting method, such as voting my mail or by telephone, that does not require electors to
attend at a voting place in order to vote;
AND WHEREAS Section 42(1)b of the Municipal Elections Act, 50 1996 provides that
Council may, by by-law, authorize the use of an alternate voting method that does not
require electors to attend at a voting place in order to vote;
AND WHEREAS Council deems it appropriate and in the public interest to conduct the
2022 Municipal Election using vote by Internet and vote by telephone methods to ensure
greater accessibility of all voters to exercise their individual and democratic right;
NOW THEREFORE the Council of the Corporation of the Township of Augusta enacts as
1. That the use of Internet and Telephone voting as an alternative voting method that
does not require electors to attend at a voting place in order to vote is hereby
authorized for the School Board and Municipal Election to be held in 2022.
2. That the alternative voting method of internet/telephone will be used for the
advanced polling period.
3. The Clerk/Returning Officer is authorized to enter into agreements with the selected
vendor(s) necessary for the election.
4. No proxy voting provisions are applicable at Municipal Elections conducted in
accordance with this by-law.
5. This by-law shall take effect on the date of final passing thereof.
6. Any by-law in consistent to this by-law is hereby repealed.
READ a first time this 8 day of November, 2021.
READ a second time this 8 day of November 2021.
READ a third time and passed this 8 day of November 2021.
Signed by Mayor Doug Malanka and Clerk Annette Simonian.