BEING A BY-LAW TO APPOINT AN ALTERNATE MEMBER TO THE COUNCIL OF THE UNITED COUNTIES OF LEEDS AND GRENVILLE DURING THE ABSENCE OF THE MAYOR
Passed by Council December 12, 2022
THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWNSHIP OF AUGUSTA
BY-LAW NUMBER 3604-2022
BEING A BY-LAW TO APPOINT AN ALTERNATE MEMBER TO THE
COUNCIL OF THE UNITED COUNTIES OF LEEDS AND GRENVILLE
DURING THE ABSENCE OF THE MAYOR
WHEREAS Bill 68, Modernizing Ontario’s Municipal Legislation Act 2017, received Royal
Assent on May 30, 2017, and amends the Municipal Act, 2001 SO. 2001, c24, herein
referred to as the “Act”; and
AND WHEREAS section 268(1) OF THE Act provides that the council of a local
municipality may appoint one of its members as an Alternate Member to the upper tier
council to act in place of a person who is a member of the council of the local municipality
and its upper4ier municipality, when the person is unable to attend a meeting of the
upper-tier council for any reason.
NOW THEREFORE the Council of the Corporation of the Township of Augusta enacts as
1. That the Deputy Mayor, Adrian Wynands is hereby appointed as the Alternate
Member to Counties Council until their appointment by-law is rescinded; on
November 14, 2026, or until such time as the Alternate Member’s seat is declared
vacant in accordance with section 259 of the Act.
2. That the Alternate Member will sit on Counties Council in accordance with the
provision as outlined in the United Counties of Leeds and Grenville By-law
No. 18-42 as attached; but as may be amended from time to time.
3. That this By-Law shall come into force on the day it is passed and take effect on
the day the Alternate Member takes the oath of office as administered by the
4. That By-Law 3393-2019 is hereby repealed.
READ a first and second time this 12th day of December, 2022
READ a third time and passed this 12th day of December, 2022
Signed by Mayor Jeff Shaver and Clerk Annette Simonian
BY — LAW No. 18-42
The Corporation of the United Counties of Leeds and Grenville
A BY-LAW TO PROVIDE FOR THE APPOINTMENT OF ALTERNATE MEMBERS TO
WHEREAS Bill 68, Modernizing Ontario’s Municipal Legislation Act 2017 received Royal
Assent on May 30, 2017, and amends the Municipal Act 2001, 5.0. 2001, c. 25, herein
referred to as the “Act”; and
WHEREAS Section 268(1) of the Act provides that the Council of a local municipality may
appoint one of its members as an Alternate Member of the upper-tier Council, to act in
place of a person who is a member of the Council of the local municipality and its upper tier
municipality, when the person is unable to attend a meeting of the upper-tier Council
for any reason.
NOW THEREFORE THE COUNCIL OF THE CORPORATION OF THE UNITED COUNTIES
OF LEEDS AND GRENVILLE HEREBY ENACT AS FOLLOWS:
1. An Alternate Member may take their seat on Counties Council upon the County
Clerk receiving a certified appointment by-law passed by a lower-tier municipality
which names the Alternate Member, and the Alternate Member has taken the Oath
of Office as administered by the County Clerk.
2. An Alternate Member’s appointment shall be for the term of the Council that
appointed them, or until their appointment by-law is rescinded, or November 14th
in the year of a Regular Election, or until such time as the Alternate Members seat
is declared vacant in accordance with section 259 of the Municipal Act.
3. An Alternate Member may, in the absence of the elected member, participate at
meetings of Counties Council and its committees, however membership and voting
rights are limited only to those privileges held by the Counties Councillor for whom
they are deemed to be the Alternate Member.
4. An Alternate Member shall not represent a Counties Councillor at an Inaugural
Meeting, or any board or agency to which the Council appoints a member. (e.g.
Health Unit St Lawrence Lodge).
5. An Alternate Member shall not be eligible for election to the Counties’ Head of
Council (Warden), or to the position of Chair or Vice Chair of any Committee or be
included in the Committee of the Whole Chair rotation schedule, nor shall an
Alternate Member assume the role of the Warden, Chair or Vice Chair when
attending meetings of Counties Council.
6. An Alternate Member shall have the same number of weighted votes as the
Counties Councillor who he/she is representing.
7. An Alternate Member shall receive a per diem (half or full) as well as mileage
(where applicable) in accordance with the applicable Counties’ policies or by-laws,
for any meetings of Counties Council/Committees he/she is required to attend in
the absence of the elected member.
8. An Alternate Member shall not be eligible to be reimbursed for a convention or
seminar, or training.
9. An Alternate member while acting in their capacity, shall be governed by all the
applicable policies of Counties Council, such as but not limited to the Council Code
of Conduct Council Procedural By-law, and shall have access to applicable support
resources such as but not limited to the Integrity Commissioner.
10. An Alternate member will not be eligible for the Counties Electronic Device
11. The County Clerk shall be notified of an Alternate Member’s participation one week
prior to the date of the meeting where possible.
12. THAT any by-laws or parts of by-laws contrary to or inconsistent with this by-law
are hereby repealed.
13. THAT this by-law shall come into force and take effect on the date of its passing.
By-law read a first, second and third time and finally pass s 19th day of July, 2018.
Signed by Warden Robin Jones and Clerk Lesley Todd