Learn more about COVID-19 updates and information.

Learn More
Home > Welcome to Augusta Township > TOWNSHIP SERVICES > Fences, Fence Viewers & Livestock Evaluators

Fences, Fence Viewers & Livestock Evaluators

Fencing and Fence Disputes

While a building permit is not required to put a fence on YOUR property (within your boundary line), our Zoning By-Law states:

– That fencing higher than 1 metre (3.3 feet) is prohibited within sight triangles on corner lots  (fifteen (15) metres (49.2 ft.) in all commercial and industrial and rural zones, ten (10) metres (32.8 ft.) in all other zones – see Sight Triangle Diagram)

Sight Triangle Diagram

– Properties with frontage along County Road 2 and within the Waterfront Residential Zone (see the Zoning Maps) cannot erect a fence higher than 1.8 metres (6 feet).

– Pool fencing has a different set of requirements which can be reviewed in the Building Permit Application for In-ground and Above ground Pools.

If however, the fence is/will be on a shared property boundary line, an agreement must be met with the other property owner on how to construct, repair or maintain the fence.

If you are not able to reach an agreement on the type of fence to be erected and/or the cost of the fence, the Line Fences Act provides a procedure that enables neighbouring landowners to have their fencing disputes arbitrated by municipally appointed fence-viewers.  Note: Each Fence Viewer visit costs $60 as per By-Law 3387-2018.

Fence Viewer Request Application Form *note: if the form does not open, try opening it using a different browser.

FAQ: Can the Township give me a map/survey of my property?

Unfortunately, the Township does not have survey maps of properties within the township unless for some reason it was submitted as part of an application.  Chances are we will not have a copy of one, but we can check the property file for you just in case.  You will need to provide us with the roll # for the property (the number on your tax bill that starts 0706).

The best place for you to check for survey maps is the Land Registry office.  The one for this area is at 499 Centre Street in Prescott.  You can contact them at 613-925-4219.

Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program

The Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program (OWDCP) provides financial assistance to producers whose livestock, poultry or honey bees have been damaged or killed by wildlife. The OWDCP is part of Growing Forward 2, a federal, provincial and territorial initiative.  Visit their website: Compensation for Livestock Losses for more information.  Note: Each Livestock Evaluator visit costs $60 as per By-Law 3387-2018.