BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION – SINGLE CAR DETACHED GARAGE
HOW TO OBTAIN A BUILDING PERMIT
When a building permit is required, an application must be filed with the Building Department using the following forms. Once submitted with all the necessary documentation, a permit may be issued after the application has been reviewed to ensure compliance with the Ontario Building Code, the Township Zoning By-law and any other applicable regulation. A plans review document, detailing the deficiencies of your submission, if any, may form part of your building permit. The Chief Building Official is responsible for the issuance of all building permits.
Other Land Use Approval permits may be required from such agencies as the Ministry of Transportation, depending on the nature of the project and the specific location of the site.
Building permit fees are listed in Schedule “A” of By-Law 3413-2019. All required fees must be paid before the permit can be issued.
Please follow each of the steps below. Should you feel that one of the steps is not required, please contact the Chief Building Official for confirmation.
Step 1: Authorization for Applicant to Act as Agent
If someone else is applying for a building permit on your behalf or will be discussing your project with the Chief Building Official on your behalf, the following form will need to be signed by you – the landowner – and submitted with your application.
Agent for Registered Landowner
Step 2: Building Permit Application
All applicants must complete, sign and date the Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish as well as the Roles & Responsibilities Declaration Form, and the Site & Drainage Plan Form.
The completed application forms must be accompanied by the following:
- A deed may be required indicating the name of the current registered owner of the property for which the permit is to be issued.
- A site plan showing the location of all existing and proposed buildings or additions, any hydro lines, water courses, pipelines, railway tracks and wells or septic systems and leaching beds on the lot in relation to the property
- Provide a reasonable and clear plan showing water drainage and run off, satisfactory to the Municipal Drainage Superintendent or Designate.
- Drawings (2 Sets) of the proposed works, fully dimensioned and showing sufficient detail in order to determine compliance with the building code and any other applicable *One set of drawings are to be printed, the 2nd set is to be submitted in PDF format by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Truss layout, truss package and joist system layout must be submitted to the building department prior to the framing inspection request.
Step 3: Complete the Building Guide
The Colorado Chapter of the International Code Council has an excellent, simple form for applicants to complete which explains in detail the information required by the Chief Building Official to issue your building permit. Please complete this form and submit it with the rest of your application.
If you have any questions regarding any part of this process, please call or email the
Chief Building Official, Karen Morrell at 613-925-4231 ext. 106, email@example.com.