Home > Welcome to Augusta Township > Life in Augusta > Building Information and Applications

Building Information and Applications

Augusta Township Building Department regulates and enforces the Ontario Building Code (OBC). Building permits and inspections allow the Building Department to ensure that the minimum standard in the OBC have been met. Please contact the Building Department at 613-925-4231 ext.106 to make an appointment regarding your projects and required permits.

3413-2019 Building By-Law

2537-2004 Swimming Pool Fencing By-Law

2965-2012 Zoning By-Law

NOTICE ~ Should you get caught building without a permit the fine is double the cost of the permit.

Projects that require a building permit:

  • Any new building including houses, farm buildings and structuresOnce ready, building permits can be picked up at the reception desk at the Township Office. We accept cash, cheque or debit.
  • Pools over 12″ (1 ft.) deep
  • Porches, decks, patios and ramps (with or without a roof)
  • Wood stoves
  • Demolitions
  • Renovations or Alterations
  • Sunrooms
  • Additions
  • Docks
  • Party Tents (even if temporary)
  • Carports, attached or detached Garages or Sheds over 10 sq. m²* (107.64 sq. ft.) including prefabricated and portable sheds
  • New or structural alterations (example: larger windows, doors, load bearing walls etc.)
  • Solar panels mounted on a building and any other designated structures in Division A, of the Ontario Building Code
  • Addition of a bedroom in a basement or in any other part of a building
  • Any plumbing fixture, in a building or not located in a building
  • Changing the use or occupancy of a building
  • Any structure occupying an area greater than 10 m² (107.64 sq. ft.) consisting of a wall, roof and floor or any combination of them or a structural system serving that structure including all plumbing, works, fixtures and service systems serving that structure

* Sheds smaller than 10 m² (107.64 sq. ft.) are still required to comply with the Zoning By-Law. Contact the Township Planner, Myron Belej (613-925-4231 ext. 101 or by email mbelej@augusta.ca) to confirm zoning requirements for your project or read the Zoning By-Law.

Building Permit Applications

Select the link below for all relevant building applications and information required for your project:

New House

In Ground or Above Ground Pool (deeper than 1′)

Sheds 108 sq. ft. + (includes PreFab/Portable Sheds)

Single Car Detached Garage


Party Tent

Other (Renovation, Demolition, Additions, Decks, Ramps, Structural Alterations, Farm Buildings, Wood Stoves, Car Ports, Attached Garages, etc.)

Paying For Your Permit

Once the Chief Building Official receives your complete application the permit will be prepared.  When it is ready, you will receive a phone call or email letting you know how much the permit will cost and that it is ready for pick up.  Payment is not due until AFTER the permit has been prepared.

Call/Click Before You Dig

Whether you’re planning a home improvement job, planting a tree or installing a fence or deck you need to have your utility & pipe lines safely identified.  You can visit www.clickbeforeyoudig.com or call 1-800-400-2255 to have them flagged.

Note: 5 days advance notice of your intent to dig is required.


Before mechanically excavating and constructing within the right of way of one of the 3 pipelines located within the Township or mechanically excavating within 30 metres (98.5 feet) of the right of way you must call and obtain written approval from the pipeline company.  Visit our Pipelines page for more information.

Entrances & Culverts

As per Township By-Law 3177-2015, ALL entrance ways must be approved by the Township BEFORE installation.  If your property requires an entranceway, please complete the Entranceway Application form and submit it at the Township office.

Entrances onto county roads will require the applicant to acquire approval from the United Counties of Leeds & Grenville’s Roads Department prior to receiving a building permit.  You can find their Entranceway Application on their website.

Civic Numbers

All properties are to have a civic number (911#) to assist Emergency Services and Utility Companies in finding you.  If you do not already have a civic number, please complete the 911 Application and return it (along with your payment of $50) to the township office.

If your sign or post is damaged/stolen you can apply for a new one.  Replacement signs are $25 each and replacement posts are $25 each.  The same 911 Application form is required.

Zoning Questions

To find out more about the zoning for a property – what you can and cannot build on it, where things can be located on the property, changing the zoning for a property, severing lots etc. – please review the Zoning By-Law or contact the Township Planner, Myron Belej at ext. 101 or by email at mbelej@augusta.ca.

Open Building Permits

It is the responsibility of home owners who have open building permits to call the Chief Building Official to schedule required inspections.

There is an overwhelming number of open permits on file that we would like to close to ensure that health and safety related standards have been met. If you think you may still have an open permit, please call the CBO at 613-925-4231 ext. 106 or email klavigne@augusta.ca to schedule an inspection.

NOTE: Most real estate lawyers recommend that home buyers request a Building Compliance Letter from the Township before purchasing a home. In this letter, all open building permits are listed.

Building FAQ

Q. I am interested in buying a property in Augusta Township.  Can I build [insert structure here] on this property?  

A. You will need to contact the Township Planner, Myron Belej (613-925-4231 ext. 101 or by email mbelej@augusta.ca) with the address for the property so he can investigate what can/cannot be built on that property based on the Zoning By-Law.

Q. Can I have horses, cattle, chickens etc. on my property?

A. A hobby farm, which is what this would be considered, requires a minimum of 2 hectares or 4.94 acres.  Minimum Distance Separation (MDS) regulations as governed by OMAFRA must be adhered to as well.  Please contact the Township Planner, Myron Belej (613-925-4231 ext. 101 or by email mbelej@augusta.ca) to assist you in determining if this is legal on your particular property.

Q. I want to run a business out of my home.  Am I allowed?  What do I need to do?

A. You will need to contact the Township Planner, Myron Belej (613-925-4231 ext. 101 or by email mbelej@augusta.ca) with the address for the property so he can investigate what the property can/cannot be used for based on the Zoning By-Law.

Q. Am I allowed to have a sea-can/storage/shipping container on my property?

A. According to our Zoning By-Law, sea-cans/storage containers are not permitted within the township boundaries.  Certain exceptions apply for temporary use during construction with a valid building permit.  Contact the Chief Building Official, Karen Morrell (613-925-4231 ext. 106 or by email klavigne@augusta.ca) for more information.

Q. Can I have a mobile home on my property? 

A. No.  Mobile homes can no longer be placed in areas other than in an approved mobile home park within the township.

Q. I’m interesting in buying/bought a house in Augusta.  Can you tell me if there are any outstanding permits or issues with it that I should be aware of?

A.  A building compliance letter can be requested in writing for a $100 fee.  If you are considering buying the property, your lawyer must request the letter.  However, if you own the property you can request the letter yourself.  The Chief Building Official will then provide the information contained in the building file.

Again, please contact the Building Department at 613-925-4231 ext.106 to make an appointment regarding your projects and required permits.